My bog buddy Claire, at cupcakesandasanas has nominated me for a Liebster Award! It came in the midst of the move/drive to Greenville so it’s taken me some time to do all that’s involved.
First of all, thank you Claire! This is a nomination that small bloggers give to each other and I am touched that she thought of me. As everyone before me has, I did a bit of research about it and didn’t come up with much! Someone started it a few years ago, but it seems to run like whisper down the lane now. There are also a variety of rules. Here’s what Claire said to do:
- After thanking Claire, I am to display the Liebster Award picture.
- Nominees are to tell their readers 11 things about themselves.
- Then I need to answer 11 questions she asked of her nominees.
- The hard part is nominating 11 blogs. Here’s where I am using an alternate set of rules. The nomination is to go to small bloggers and I read many blogs from “big deal” quilters and craftspeople with Etsy shops. I think they won’t have time or be interested in this. So I am going to nominate 5.
- Then I am to ask them 11 questions.
So here are 11 fascinating facts about me ;-D
- I am the youngest of three kids and I was the naughty one. I spent lots of time out in the hall and in the principal’s office.
- My parents thought I was naughty too and put coal in my stocking one Christmas. Sadly, I knew who “Santa” was and spent all of Christmas Day crying.
- I grew up north of Philadelphia on the edge of my grandparents’ farm. My other grandparents lived next door. My favorite cousin lived on the farm and the another set of cousins visited often from Long Island. It was a lovely place to grow up.
- I met my husband Peter in high school. Our first date was on my 17th birthday.
- I taught Second Grade for 9 years in a small private school. I loved the kids; the parents not so much……the headmaster even less so.
- I am a ham radio operator. My call sign is KA3Dox. I love sending Morse Code and I can send and receive about 25 words a minute when I’m in practise.
- We lived in Asia for most of the 1990’s, in Singapore, Shanghai and Tokyo.
- Anything fiber related is my passion! I love using my hands.
- Another passion is color. I started dyeing long ago when the fibers I wanted to weave with just came in their natural state. I am not a beige person.
- We have lived in three countries and have just moved to our 5th state.
- The big project of the moment is looking for a house in Greenville South Carolina area. This will be a big change for us!
My favorite thing about blogging is the community. I weave and do rug hooking and there aren’t many of us who do that. Via the web and blogging, I have found people who do these time-consuming crafts. I particularly like it when they share their thinking about the color or design aspect of the work.
When I need a pick-me-up, I unfortunately turn to sugar! I try to exercise or find a project to do, but sugar make me happy…
My favorite movie……this is always a difficult question! I am going to say that the movie I recently saw and loved is the latest James Bond, Skyfall. It was nearly perfect – the right balance of chase scenes and action and a great story. I think Daniel Craig is a great Bond.
Science fiction and fantasy is one of my favorite genres. Claire wisely asked what I’d been reading recently that I like. I very much like books that go back and forth in time, so this one that came to mind: The Rose Garden, by Susanna Kearsley. Eva goes from present day to the 1700’s in Cornwall England. As I was reading, I wondered how it was all going to “work”, but I must say the ending was very interesting and believable!
The happiest piece of art in my home…..nothing right now since we’re living in a Residence Inn! In my real home it would be a modern interpretation of Scherenschnitte that I bought in Pennsylvania years ago. It’s an angel head over a heart with a spring scene cut in the heart. As well as being cut paper, it’s also painted.
Travel…..not on the agenda this busy year but I love it. I long to return to Southeast Asia to visit old haunts. Another trip to India would be lovely. And Italy – we very much want to spend a week or two in Rome.
My favorite decade in American history would have to be the turn of the last century! The 1880’s through the 1920’s was such an amazing time. Beautiful architecture, incredible inventions, interesting characters.
The best vacation…..that would be hands down a “Raj” trip to India to celebrate a friend’s 50th. We stayed in palaces and played elephant polo and ate and drank way too much. We were all expats and we had such a wonderful time comparing notes and exploring amazing India.
What makes a good meal? That’s interesting. I think it depends on your mood. When I’m down or it’s a cold Winter day, comfort food would be on the menu. But when traveling, something new would be just right. We just discovered a new restaurant and noshed on appetizers. I must admit that I could not eat a pig’s ear……Peter said it was delicious!
My favorite workout is running. My old bones and joints are starting to protest, but I love to burn off energy and think.
The best bit of advice. That one stumps me. I’m not sure I have an answer to that one.
AND – here are my 5 small (fiber) blog nominations:
- Barefootweaver. Obviously this lady is a weaver and creates lovely items that she sells on her Etsy site.
- FortPelhamFarm. I have been so busy recently and I am happy to say that she found me. She blogs a lot about gardening and living a country life sharing beautiful photographs, all of which appeals to me. Oh – she’s a weaver too!
- Sunshinerughooking. Elizabeth also found me. She hooks some absolutely amazing rugs and I enjoy reading her thought process as she pulls out pieces that don’t work or dyes a color she needs.
- Jansartquilts. Jan has quite an interesting blog site with links to art quilt sites and all sorts of information. Thanks for finding me Jan!
- Knitquiltspinweave. Of course I love this blog because I do all those things as well! Judy is one busy and creative lady!
My 11 questions for them:
- Beer or wine?
- Vanilla or chocolate?
- Singer/songwriter you’d like to spend the day with.
- Do you have a passport? What is the last stamp in it?
- Dogs or cats?
- What color makes you feel happy?
- What book is on your bedside table?
- Do you speak a foreign language?
- In the dead of winter, what summer fruit do you dream of?
- What was your favorite class Senior Year in high school?
- Would you like to be a Queen or a President?
And there you have it! This makes for a long post that many of you probably scrolled through. I do hope that you will visit the small blogs that I nominated, though. They’d love to hear from you!