Studio Update – the design wall!

I’ve always used a “design wall”. When I first started to quilt, I pieced on the dining room table and  taped work in progress to the livingroom wall, but the best scenario is a full-fledged screwed-in-the-wall-push-pin friendly one. It’s important to be able to see your work as it’s progressing, particularly if that work is going to hang on a wall. (If I’m making a bed quilt, I do often lay it on a bed to see how it’s looking.) So here it is –  the design wall is finally done! If you have moved a lot, you know this; anything you want to do in your new house always takes longer than you wish it would! I got a few of the studio walls painted in December hoping to get the board up, but we just completed the project this weekend. {sigh} The difficulty was, as it often is, that we couldn’t find homosote. In case you don’t think you know what homosote is, you do, it’s what a schoolroom bulletin board is made of. It used to be very inexpensive and easy to find, but not anymore. We had to special order it! I have used other material for a design wall, but homosote is the best. It’s thick and you can put long push pins into it. In Japan, we hung double-sided foam core from the ceiling. It worked, but barely. It was so thin that I had to use pins to hold up my designs and it curled in the high humidity. But it’s a good choice if you can’t screw into the wall. Peter is the best installer ever, so patient and accurate, and he has installed a few of these over the years.

Peter leveling

After you decide what to use for the design wall base, the next decision is what to cover it with. You could paint it, but then all the holes show and it can start to crack and fall off. When I was a Second Grade teacher I always covered bulletin boards with burlap and stapled the fabric on the back. However, many fabrics are too narrow and burlap usually is. For the design wall in Highland Park, I used the gridded flannel fabric from eQuilter. It’s a nice quality and a good width, but quite difficult to get the grids even – and if you’re going to have lines on it you want them to be even!  The homosote is  4′ x 8′ and we only cut a bit off this piece so the light switch could be used. I went to Joann’s to see if perhaps they had designer burlap, which is wider, and I made a great find!  The fabric covering the homosote is felt , it came in a nice white, and best of all, it’s 72″ wide. I discovered it in the store by the burlap which was not even 42″. (I hate seams on a design wall…) This baby is screwed in tight!

New design wall!

For some reason, having the design wall installed always makes me feel like I’m really home! 

Ready to work!

With the design wall hung, I was able to dig out the zinnia and sunflower from their moving package and carefully pin them up to inspire me. I cannot wait to quilt these two!!!

2 thoughts on “Studio Update – the design wall!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s