Perhaps some of you are wondering how I plan to piece all the orphan blocks together. I have made some similar quits in the past and learned a few lessons! This is a quilt I made for Great Nephew #2. I used a lot of novelty circus prints and sewed frames around them. And then I pieced them together. It was not fun, trying to make them all fit together.
This is the next quilt that I made in the same vein. It’s funny animal prints, mostly by Nancy Wolff. This time I framed the animals as I liked with colored fabrics and then used a background fabric to sew them together. It was much easier to do and the neutral fabric hid some of the odd pieces.
So that is how I am approaching my Orphan Blocks Mash-Up. I have spent a lot of time moving the pieces around on the design wall and looking at the result and trying for a bit of balance. It can go together any number of ways, but now I am done fooling with it and working on getting this quilt top done! The first section I pieced is on at the bottom right of the quilt top. Early on I decided that the paper pieced flowers and leaf looked nice pieced around the appliquéd heart, and so it began.
And then I pieced the other two squares that I wanted to finish the bottom row. At this point, I took everything off the design wall including the backing, so that I could better see what I was doing. I have taken photographs every time I moved squares around, so I have references and won’t forget what the plan is.
And so it goes, trying to fit two or three pieces at a time, like a puzzle. I have been working away, doing a small section each day. I am close to being done, and here’s where it frankly gets ugly. That last row is going to be a bear to piece. I will cut the background pieces a lot larger and trim and measure and trim and …
This top certainly won’t be the flattest one I’ve ever made because of all the partial seam piecing, but hopefully my skillful quilting will save the day. ;-D